Packing and Unpacking
Ridgewood Moving Full Service Packing Team
The key to a successful move understanding how to properly pack your valuable possessions. We offer full packing and unpacking services, however, there are times you would like to do it yourself. Below is a list of boxes we provide as well as our useful packing guidelines.
- Small Boxes- The heavier the item, the smaller the box such books, photo albums, CD's and canned goods
- Medium Boxes- These are perfect for your pots, pans, linens, clothes and shoes
- Large Boxes- You would want to fill these boxes with bulky items, blankets, toys and lighter items
- Wardrobe Boxes- These boxes have a cross bar for hangers in order to hang your clothing or for draperies and curtains. They fit approximately 2 feet of closet space
- Mirror Boxes- Serve to protect large mirrors, artwork, glass table tops and flat screen TVs
- Dishpacks - Used for dishware, stemware, lamps and china. Anything you would consider breakable
Helpful Packing Hints
- Lampshades- Wrap in white, clean tissue paper only, place in cartons, mark "Fragile". Do not use newsprint. They may be nested but do not pack them so as to tear lining or puncture partchment shades.
- Linens- Table and bed linens should be put into strong cartons or trunks. They should be lined with tissue or clean white or brown paper to protect from dust. Do not use newsprint as a liner as the ink may soil fabric.
- Linoleum- The moving company is not reponsible for the safe moving of linoleum which as been used or tacked to the floor; or which cracks and breaks when rolled.
- Mattresses- Our moving men will protect your mattress by wrapping them in shrink wrap. Do not try to roll or handle as this may result in damaged springs or fabrics. You may protect them with a sheet or mattress cover if you like.
- Medicines- Seal bottles and jar stoppers. Wrap individually, placing them upright in small cartons or metal waste containers.
- Mirrors- For storage or long distance moving, they must be crated for safe handling. Wall mirrors will be removed by the movers, if they are not fastened to the walls. Mirrors will not be installed on walls at the new residence, Mirror tops on furniture will be taken off and replaced at destination.
- Mowers and Gasoline Powered Tools: Gas tanks should be drained and oil reservoirs emptied. No flammable mixtures or articles may be transported on public carriers.
- Paintings/Pictures- Small pictures can be safely placed between the folds of blankets or pillows in drawers or cartons. Large and valuable pictures and paintings must be padded, wrapped and crated for moving.
- Stereos- Secure the tone arm and turntable aginst the movement by tying. Secure the changer to avoid its moving forward. On delicate, expenisve players, it is wise to have this done by an experienced serviceman.
- Records, Tapes and CD Players- Pack records on end, side by side, to provide the greatest resistance to weight pressure. Use small cartons only.
- Plants- These should be handled personally by you or given to your florist to send to your destination. The moving company will not assume responsibility for living plants.
- Refrigerators- Defrost and thoroughly dry your refrigerator before moving. This is very important. The doors should be left open several hours to air after defrosting. All pans, trays, crispers, shelves or removable parts should be removed and wrapped seperately. Have your refrigerator serviced. Motor may have to be bolted down before moving. Do not plug in at the new home until it has been unbolted.
- Rugs- It is not necessary to remove rugs from floors. Our men will do this for you. They will be rolled to avoid crushing. If they are to be stored, have them cleaned. Tacks should be removed from carpeting before our movers arrive.
- Sewing Machines- These do not need special servicing for local moving. FOr long distance, the driver will stuff paper in and around the machine and place paper between the lid and base to prevent rubbing.
- Silverware- Leave in original containers or wrap in cloth or low sulphur-content paper, or tissue and pack in boxes. Place padding in silver chests to prevent moving and scratching.
- Stoves- Must be disconnected prior to pickup. Be sure gas lines are shut off and capped. For electric ranges, if the coils are loose, they must be removed together with griddles, deep fryers and removable parts, then packed seperately.
- Television Sets- Some sets require that they be checked before moving. Some color TVs must be serviced both before and after moving. Television antennas should be removed from roof tops and disassembled.
- Toilet Articles- Seal the corks and stoppers of cosmetics, medicine and perfume bottles with natural nail polish, paraffin or masking tape before wrapping separately in paper and placing upright in cartons.
- Tools- If they are valuable, wrap separately. Tools, as a rule, can be put into small, strong cartons without wrapping individually.
- Valuables- Legal documents, all important papers, jewels and currency should be handled by you personally. Keep them in your immediate possession.
- Washers- Automatic washers must be serviced by an authorixed service man. Motors should be checked and secured, tumble action protected and fastened in place.
Packing and Unpacking Team
Our team of professionals are soley dedicated to packing and crating our residential moves, locally or long distance. In addition, many of our clients ask for our unpacking services post-move.
This team brings along all the necessary supplies needed to pack your home prior to your move date. Organizing and labeling from just a few items to a whole household.