MOVING TIMELINE AND CHECKLIST
Below please find a Moving Timeline and Checklist that will help you get organized quickly and easily!
It is never too early to begin preparing for a move. I would suggest the following general timeline:
Read our Moving Timeline below or click here to download a PDF.
Eight weeks before moving
- Contact Ridgewood Moving Services for your Free In House estimate.
- Start the Plan……..and get Organized; Dedicate an important box or file where you can place all of your move related paperwork and items relative to your home sale and move.
- Begin the Process; Decide what you are going to keep, donate or trash. Easier said than done but necessary. “One of our lines is don’t trash your move by moving your trash”.
- Create a landing strip; Box or bag your items for donations and trash and allocate a place in your home or garage) for these items along with the packed items that you are keeping.
- Budget for moving expenses and set up a free estimate through RMS. At this time you will determine if you will be packing the miscellaneous items or a professional packer “carrier pack” from RMS will.
- Check RMS’ availability for a moving date and best to confirm/schedule in order to guaranty your date.
- During the home estimate, show your moving consultant everything that will be moved.
- Read the information packet given to you by your moving consultant and make sure you have a clear understanding of each section. If you have any questions feel free to call RMS at 201-529-2211.
- Visit the RMS website for additional moving tips and other useful information.
Six weeks before moving
- Notify schools and retrieve records.
- Medical Records for all family members.
- Take an inventory of the items in each room and decide what to keep.
- Start planning a yard sale, contact local charities for donations, or properly dispose of any items you no longer need (obtain necessary receipts for possible tax deductions).
- Visit RMS website for donation references.
- Begin using up items that cannot be moved or disposed of such as frozen food, bleach, and aerosol cleaners.
- Figure out what you want to do with your house plants.
- Make a check list of everyone who should be notified of your move.
UTILITIES PROFESSIONAL SERVICES
__ Gas __ Doctors
__ Water __ Dentist
__ Phone __ Lawyer
__ Cable/ Internet __ Insurance Agent
__ Garbage Removal __ Stock Broker
__ Sewer/Septic __ Accountant/ Financier
__ Fuel (Oil & Propane)
__ Newspaper __ Newsletters
__ Magazines __ Professional Journals
__ Pharmacist __ Bank(s)
__ Dry Cleaner __ Credit Card
__ Lawn/Tree Service __ Laundering Service
__ Department of Motor Vehicles __ City/County Tax Assessor
__ Post Office __ Veterans Administration
__ Social Security Administration __ State/Federal Tax Bureaus
Four weeks before moving
- Feel free to call our office with any questions / concerns prior to your move. Or stop by and pick up some of our Recycled Materials.
- Our Move Coordinator will reach out midway to check in with you.
- Packing; Continue packing non-essential items, label clearly the room that you wish the box delivered to on move day. We provide labels for boxes as well as room labels if you’d like.
- Donations; Start calling the various not for profits for pick ups or delivery. We provide a donation resource list for download…..
- Utilities; Start the process of notifying utility services. We use Updater for this service including change of address.
- Register your change of address with the post office. If you are unsure what your new address will be, ask that your mail be held at the post office in your new town or city.
- Arrange to have utility services at your home disconnected the day after you move; connect services at your new home the day before you move in.
- Host a yard sale and/or donate/dispose of items you don’t sell.
- Contact newspaper services, set up a date to cancel your subscription.
Two weeks before moving
- Call RMS if you add or subtract items from your planned move.
- Pack with a purpose, labeling room and contents. You may even want to color code by room.
- Valuables and any items in question should be transported by you.
- Cleaning companies can be secured at this point to clean your new home prior to moving in.
- Reminder; You will need to properly dispose items that cannot go onto the truck such as cleaning supplies, propane tanks, paint and anything that may be flammable.
- Confirm any extra stops between destination and origin location, such as storage.
- Remove any items in safety deposit boxes.
- Notify any creditors of your move.
- Plan meals for the last week before your move to empty your refrigerator, and avoid the need for appliances that will already be packed.
- Have rugs and draperies cleaned. Leave both wrapped when they are returned from the cleaners.
- Acquire a written appraisal of antiques to verify value. Try not to wax or oil wooden antiques (and fine wood furniture) before moving because certain products soften the wood, which makes it vulnerable to imprinting from furniture pads.
- Do not clean your upholstered furniture before moving. Moisture can cause mold if furniture must be placed in storage.
- Make a folder of important information about the house for the new owners, including the warranties for installed appliances.
Seven weeks before moving
- Create your to do list with deadline dates right into your calendar.
- If planning an estate or garage sale, now is the time to set that date.
- If you are moving a significant distance, we recommend that you gather your dental and medical records, and ask your current providers for references and information about new providers in the area you are moving to.
- Arrange to have your children’s school and/or daycare records transferred to your new school district.
- Obtain copies of any legal or financial records you may need.
- If you are moving to a new state, check for any changes in your polices with your insurance agent and arrange the insurance for your new home.
- If you have pets, arrange to have their veterinary records transferred.
- Look at the floor plan of your new home to think about the function each room will serve.
Five weeks before moving
- Schedule and confirm your move date. Keep in mind that the busiest time of year in the moving industry is the last week of June through August. These months are similar to the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas during the holiday’s.
- Start collecting/buying boxes and packing supplies. You can call RMS for a Smart Start Box kit or any other additional packaging.
Three weeks before moving
- Food Items; Use up your food supplies. Remember you can donate unwanted non-perishable food items to your local food pantry. We work with Move for Hunger.
- There should be nothing packed that is half full with liquid items.
- Pets and Plants need to be transported by customer.
- Car; Have our car serviced if you are embarking on a long trip or make arrangements with an auto shipper if car is being transported.
- Check for overdue library books and other rented items. Return and pick up dry cleaning and any items that are out for repair. Also recover any items on loan and return any items borrowed from neighbors.
- Safely dispose of any flammables, corrosives, and poisons.
- If you are moving into or out of an apartment, try to reserve use of the elevator on your move day if possible.
One week before moving
- Move Confirmation; We check in prior to your move and will call one to two days prior to move day.
- Pack your essential box or suitcase. If you need items right away take it with you. There are some items that a customer will give us that is labeled Last Box, which will be the first one off the truck. However, it is always recommended that your important box be taken with you.
- Finish packing and prepare a box of essential items you will take with you, such as daily medication and toiletries. Label boxes of items you will need as soon as you move in as “last load.”
- Pack suitcases and valuables separately.
- Drain water hoses and empty gas and oil from lawn mowers, grills, kerosene heaters, and other outdoor appliances.
- Empty, defrost, and clean refrigerator at least one day before moving.
- Pack and secure any appliances.
- Fill any prescriptions or medications you will need.
- Make childcare arrangements for moving day if necessary.
- Have everything packed in boxes if you are packing yourself.
1 Day Before the Move:
- Have your Move documents ready.
Defrost and clear out your refrigerator and check the cupboards and pantry. Have a garbage bag at hand.
- Unplug electric appliances 24 hours before your move (i.e. home computers, stereos and any A/V equipment).
- Make sure you have enough cash to get through the move day.
Moving Day | Post Move
- Work as a team with your move professionals. Be there when the movers are loading the truck and check the origin home with a final sweep before leaving for new destination.
- Specify to the movers any extra-fragile items that need special attention
- Stay on the property until all of your items are loaded—it is your responsibility to make sure everything is accounted for. After taking a final tour of the house, review and sign the inventory sheet.
- Don’t forget to give the driver your cell number.
- Leave your new address for the new residents so that they can forward stray mail.
- Carry your valuables and important boxes/files with you. We recommend that the customer keep all important papers/documents/check books, etc. in a “safe zone,” and that they personally transport these materials themselves on moving day.
- Final Sweep; Before the Move Team leaves destination make sure your furniture is in its proper place. The move team will remove wrappings and debris and any boxes that are unpacked while unloading. There is a dedicated mover that folds blankets and checks the truck for a final inspection insuring nothing was left on the truck.
- *We do pick up your recycled boxes within a 15 mile radius.
- Post Move
- We always call the day after your move to ensure all went well.
- Please email RMS or visit our website at www.RidgewoodMoving.com and take a few minutes to complete a customer satisfaction survey or Review us on Google / Yelp / Facebook. We rely on your feedback and appreciate your review – we love to hear!
- We strive to provide you with the best service available and appreciate your honest and objective feedback. Thank you for your business, and we hope you will make your next move with us
- Best of Everything in your new home, From your Friends at Ridgewood Moving!